
There are moments in a person's life that cause them to stop and think maybe even reflect a little. Well, yesterday was one of those for me. For the past week and a half we've been talking with Dylan about when he turns five and all that he'll be able to do. Go to school, ride the bus, play soccer again, and one not so pleasant thing was-to give us his blanket. Now he's had his blanket since before he was born. It was a gift from my sister Tammie. At the time I don't think we realized just how special that blanket would become to this little boy. After Dylan was born I used the blanket for everything. It was with him all the time, and over the past five years he has had it with him EVERY night of his life. He absolutely loves his blanket. It has been there waiting for him in his bed every night and is left with a promise of return every morning. So you can see why I was a little nervous about how this was going to go over.
Well, awhile ago Allen and I decided that when Dylan turned 5 we'd try to get rid of the blanket and in turn hopefully that would stop him from sucking his thumb at night to go to sleep. We mentioned this to Dylan a few times over the summer and each time he wasn't so sure about that idea. About 2 weeks ago Dylan got in trouble and got his blanket taken away for the night. "How long until I get it back?" He asked Daddy that night while reading books. "You can have it back tomorrow night if you really try hard to be a good little man tomorrow." And his response was "I can last longer then that." OK then. Well the next night I didn't really mention his blanket until he did just before bed. And so I had a little conversation with him about how in 12 days he was going to turn 5 and that it would be time for him to give us his blanket. I told him that I would wash it real good and we'd put it in a very special place for it stay. So he had it back, up until last night. (I didn't want his blanket to be taken away forever on a bad note so we worked out a deal hoping that it would end happily).
His 5th birthday was on Tuesday, but we were at my parents house so I didn't want to worry about the blanket thing until we got home. All day yesterday I was thinking about how we were going to do this. Nervous, a bit stressed even. I didn't say anything about it at all, but the kids were getting ready for bed and Dylan went up to get his PJs on and then came down the stairs with his blanket and said, " Here Mom. You can put my blanket away. I don't need it. I'm going to sleep without my blanket." Huh? "OK Dylan, that's great!" So I quickly put it in the linen closet and then he said, "I thought you were going to wash it?" Oh, I will. We're just all ready for books now, and then I'll wash it and we can put it away some place safe tomorrow. But for now I'll put it here to keep it safe and off the floor." I just couldn't believe it. He gave it up just like that. Some times I think we under estimate our kids sometimes. We tucked them in their beds with songs and prayers and left their room. After a little awhile though I could hear him up there crying a little, so I went up and talked to about it with him for a bit and sang him a few more songs and he was good for the rest of the night!
Dylan, I just want you to know how proud I am of you. You are are so brave and you have so much courage. We love you and we are so excited for you to be five. It makes my heart feel so happy that I am your mommy.
A picture of the brand new you! Such a big boy at 9 lbs 6 oz and 23 inches long.
And here are some pictures from your birthday. You were so serious, but excited opening your presents and showing them to everyone. The balloon fight was the best!
5 comments:
I got teary eyed! Cute post and way to go Dylan!
aww, i got teary eyed too! what a big boy, kids are definatly full of surprises and you guys handled how to got about that perfectly, good job.
Austin had a quilt that he loved. He used it until the batting was falling out. I took off the back and batting and he still wanted the see through flannel front. We finally ended up throwing it away. I could kick myself for not saving a portion of that quilt as a momento. Make sure you save Dylan's.
First of all bravo Dylan! You have such great kids. We were very impressed by Meghan in nursery on Sunday.
Second of all that birthday cake was co cute. Did you make it Wendy?
What a cute cake!
Post a Comment