Monday, April 9, 2012

easter time festivities

          Easter time is just fun. Not only is it time for coloring eggs, Easter basket hunts, and making yummy food, it is a time to celebrate the life of our Savior Jesus Christ. This year I finally put together a little something to do with the kids in the week leading up to Easter Sunday. It's called the 12 days of Easter. I've been wanting to do this for years, but I never remember in time to start it on time. But this year I finally did it! For the family home evening before the start day we collected all the times to create our 12 eggs. For each day there is a scripture reference and then a small item to represent what that scripture is talking about. We took turns with the kids finding the small items around the house that we could use. The kids really liked that part. It was like a scavenger hunt! Then each night we would let the kids select the egg for that day. It was great. I will definitely be doing this each year for Easter! One thing I will add is pictures for each day too. Maybe make a pocket sized book or something. We just used the pictures from the Gospel Art Book this year and they worked great for a visual for the kids as the scripture was read. It was neat to this as a family and talk with the children about the great sacrifice and resurrection of our Savior. What a special thing for them to feel. 


This is the link that I used to create our "12 days of Easter"


Growing up we had Easter baskets. Yummy candy in plastic eggs and sometimes a small toy of some sort. My mom and dad would hide the baskets at night, so when we got up in the morning we'd go on an "Easter basket hunt" around the house looking for our baskets. It was so fun to see just where our basket was hidden! We've done this with our kids too. :) For the small gift this year I made it down to the church bookstore down in Clarkston where I found a Book of Mormon card game called "Capture"for Lola, a book for Meghan, and small hero cards for Dylan.

Isaac finding his basket on the piano bench.


Meghan really wanting her basketball egg open!

Here they all are after the hunt!


Enjoyment and excitement...




This weekend we also had stake conference. So church wasn't until 10am. Very nice for a holiday morning. We had banana muffins and eggs for breakfast and then the girls were super excited to wear their new Easter dresses. I haven't made them dresses for a couple of years, so this year I decided to make them. They absolutely LOVED them and wore them all day!




 Little buddies. 

Easter egg banner that I made to hang over the living room. Super cute and very easy. The best part was that I didn't have to buy a thing!

No comments: